Monday, April 21, 2008

REMEMBERING ATE ROSIE


Ate Rosie passed away last month after a long medical battle as Ima Migring years ago and Impong Lucia many many years ago.
I can still remember hearing Ate Rosie's voice from her house in Wawa, Bataan, calling out Resty, her eldest son who is a good 500 feet away to come home. She supported her family doing manicuring and cutting hair of women from her barrio. Later, she would sell insurance plans and whatever jobs she can take. It was in these ways that she was able to send her children to school and now all her hard work have paid off. Some of them are well-off.

She was always the Santacrusan Queen stylist and dance teacher. She was always cheerful and I was always welcome to have lunch or dinner at their house when I spent my summers during my high school and college days. Her house then was made entirely of bamboo slat flooring where one can see the ground below. And it was also in her house where she said we can see spirits who show up in the eyes of little children like us. And that thought have always scared us, so we must behave whenever we're there. Now, I learned that her house is the biggest and most modern, which I have never seen for myself.

The photo above is a sculpture of St. Rachel in our Mission San Luis Rey parish. St. Rachel is said to have waited for her children and was sadden when they haven't returned to her. But, it's now us, her nephews and children, who feel sadden that we won't be able to see and feel her love and kindness. Rest in peace and may her wait for us to be united again be a joyful event with God at her side always. Thank you for being there for me when sometimes I'll just show up in your house unannounced.

No comments: